It is really important to keep your online accounts secure including your Mercari account.
Over 15 billion compromised credentials are distributed among global hacker forums, including login names and passwords from third-party websites? Make sure you take extra steps in protecting your Mercari account.
Some of the customers have experienced an account takeover, sharing login emails/usernames, passwords, and other credentials being leaked on third-party websites. Hackers keep this information and continue to abuse it for their own benefit. If you are using the same credentials for more than one account, then even if one of your accounts is compromised there are chances your other account will also be compromised.
If your Mercari account ever gets taken over, that can be quite annoying and frustrating. We got some tips for you to keep your Mercari account. It would prevent hackers to use your username and password and using unauthorized access to your account.
Keep account passwords updated
- Use a new, unique, strong password, the one which has more characters. We recommend using at least 8 characters or more with a mix of letters, numbers, and symbols.
- Use different passwords for each website/app. It is safe to use different passwords for each website/app as there are fewer chances of that password getting leaked. As your password getting leaked on a third party website can make your account vulnerable
- Make sure to reset your password every 6 months.
- Make sure to use a unique and strong password for your email. Try to update it frequently. You can also use Apple, Facebook, or Google single sign-on, it would make your login process easy and fast.
Follow the steps to reset your password:
- Login to your account > Click Profile > Account settings.
- Edit your Account and change your password.
- You can reset your password by inputting your account email address.
- If you still can’t reset your password, please go to Mercari on their contact us page.
Note: We recommend you set up a passcode to unlock your phone. This would make it difficult for other people to use your phone even if they get their hands on it.
Enable 2-step verification and SMS
Enable 2-step verification and SMS as it adds an extra layer of security to your account. Every time you log in to your account, Mercari will send an SMS verification code to verify your login.
Follow the below steps to enable 2-step verification on your Mercari account:
- Go to your Mercari app > Tap Settings > Account security.
- Make sure you have a verified phone number on your Mercari account. If you haven’t verified your phone number, verify it first.
- Choose the 2-Step Verification and other SMS messages option by switching the toggle to the “on” position.
- Make sure to update your phone number on your Mercari account if you ever change to a new number.
- If you’re using single sign-on, refer to the Apple, Google, or Facebook security pages for information on 2-step verification.
- Note that VoIP phone numbers are unable to receive texts from a short-code number. If you’re unable to use your phone for 2-step verification, unable to receive text, or unable to log in to your account, go to Mercari contact us page through the Help Centre.
- Make sure to check your login history regularly.
Watch out for logins and payments
Check your email and notifications frequently to see if there has been some unusual activity in your account. Check your Merpay usage history to look for any transactions you don’t remember or have been made without your knowledge.
Here’s how you can see your payment history
- Go to the Merpay tab.
- Tap on balance and points to look for your payment history.
Be aware of suspicious websites
We recommend you to stay away from suspicious websites/apps claiming to be Mercari. If you receive any suspicious message that claims to be Mercari, delete them without opening the message. Don’t even open any attached links to the message.
Remove iD information while switching devices
Whenever you buy a new device, make sure to log out from your Mercari app. Even if you use someone else’s device to log in to your Mercari, make sure to log out. If you are registered for ID payments on Murphy, we recommend you remove the ID information while switching devices.
Contact Mercari if you lose your device
If you ever lose your device, immediately log into your Mercari account and contact their support team through the app. Their team will immediately take action so no one will be able to use or access your account.
Do not borrow or lend accounts
If you ever borrow or lend your Mercari account, it goes against Mercari’s terms of service. It would be considered an infringement and Mercari won’t be responsible for any trouble that you might run into. Make sure to abide by Mercari safety guidelines to keep yourself safe online.
Mercari tries to keep your account secure and safe, if you run into any trouble go to their contact us if you need any assistance with your account.