A huge number of games are available on the PS5 console, which is quite great for video gamers. Similar to other gaming devices, you might encounter problems, such as error code CE-107857-8, CE-105799-1, or CE-108255-1, etc on PS5 Users encounter it in various games, including Call of Duty Cold War, Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Dirt 5, etc. And this PlayStation error code usually comes with the following message “Something went wrong with this game or app.” The PS5 error code CE-108255-1 can be caused due to many factors, we have listed a few of those. We also made the list to fix these issues, let’s get into it.
What are the Causes of PS5 error code CE-108255-1?
Here are some main causes of PS5 error code CE-108255-1:
- Corrupted game file – This error occurs when you try to install a game from a damaged or corrupted disc. It can also happen when you have improperly downloaded the game and then try to run the installation file.
- PS5 Software Incompatibility – Sometimes the game or software you’re trying to install has improper coding which makes it incompatible with the latest PS5 due to which you’re unable to install the game or the particular software. Updating your software might help you resolve the error.
- PS5 Corrupted Cache – Sometimes fundamental files in PS5 get corrupted or missing which starts causing performance issues. The cache or data stored in the PS5 also gets corrupted after some time. If you clear corrupted files, it will help you fix the error.
- Abrupt power issue — Sometimes abrupt power issues or unreliable power feeding can impact the performance of PS5 due to which you get error code CE-107857-8.
- Now that you got to know about all the possible causes of this error code, let’s get into the workable fixes that can help you resolve the error
- Language pack glitch — One of the reasons for the PS5 error code can be due to the in-game language pack. We suggest users change the language to American English.
- Hardware Issue — The error code CE-108255-1 could be due to hardware malfunction or related to your SSD. It is best that you get it fixed from your nearest Sony service center.
Method 1: Disable HDCP on the Console
HDCP refers to High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection. It prevents digital audio and video content from copying to other devices. It is a form of digital copy, with such a feature you won’t be able to use the game capture device such as an Elgato.
HDCP doesn’t have any impact on the game but it can interfere with gameplay capture features which can lead to PS5 error code CE-108255-1. You can fix this issue by disabling the HDCP feature on your PS5 console. Follow the below steps to do so:
Go to Settings on your PS5 console. Choose the System category.
Select HDMI in the left pane. Toggle off the option Enable HDCP in the right pane.
After disabling HDCP, you can check whether the error CE-108255-1 still persists. If it pops up again, please move on to the next solution.
Method 2: Change the Language on Your Console
Sometimes language pack issues can lead to PS5 error code CE-108255-1. In this case, we suggest you change the language to English US to resolve the problem. Here’s how you can do that:
- Go to PS5 Settings > System.
- Then from the left pane, select Language.
- Select English (United States) from the drop-down menu of Console Language and Input Language.
You can use different languages for the game and user interface. You can change the keyboard layout for your console, by changing the Input Language.
Check if the error still persists after changing your console language.
Method 3: Reinstall the Problematic Game or Application
Sometimes a game that you’re trying to play isn’t updated or installed properly. You should update the game or application with the latest updates. When this occurs frequently, you might need to reinstall the game. Here’s how you can reinstall the game or application on PS5.
- Go to the Settings > Storage. Then select Console Storage.
- Then, select Games and Apps
- Choose the game that needs to be reinstalled and choose the Delete option.
- Download and install the game or application again.
Then check whether the game or application runs smoothly.
Method 4: Update Your PS5 System Software
If your system software is outdated, it starts causing issues. Some games become incompatible to download. That’s why it’s suggested to update the PS5 system software to the latest version. It will help you download your game without getting PS5 Error CE-107857-8. Make sure you have a stable internet connection. Follow the below steps to update your PS5 console:
Option 1: Update PS5 through the internet
- Start your PS5 console
- Then with the help of the controller go to the Settings.
- Now select system, then hit System Software Update.
- Next set updates to download and install automatically.
- Then click on Check Now to check whether PS5 is up to date or if any update is available.
- Go to Settings and then click on Power Saving Mode & Standby Management.
- Now choose the System Restart or Shut down.
- After that, PlayStation Network will start downloading updates automatically.
Once updated, your PS5 will restart again. Now try to install the game and see if the error still persists. If it still occurs, move on to the next solution.
Option 2: Update PS5 in Safe Mode
If you’re unable to find an update, you might have to download and install the latest software manually in Safe Mode. But to download the PS5 system software update, you need to have a USB flash drive. You need to prepare a USB flash drive, here’s how you can do that:
- First, make sure your USB flash drive doesn’t contain any important data. If you’ve any important files, make sure to back up your data as you will lose it during the process.
- Connect the USB flash drive to your system.
- Download and install MiniTool Partition Wizard. Then install and launch it.
- Once you get the main interface of MiniTool Partition Wizard, right-click your USB flash drive and select Format.
- Select FAT32 for the file system and press Enter.
- Click the Apply button to start formatting.
- Wait patiently until the formatting process completes.
Once the USB is ready, you can download and install the PS5 system software update. Here’s how you can do it:
- Press Windows + E keys to open File Explorer quickly.
- Then open your USB flash drive.
- Create a new folder and name it PS5.
- Inside the PS5 folder, create a new folder and name it as UPDATE.
- Open your web browser and go to the official website for the PS5 system software update.
- Scroll down to find the PS5 update file. Then right-click it and select the Save link as.
- Select the UPDATE folder on the USB flash drive and click Save.
- You will get a file named PS5UPDATE.PUP. Then eject the USB flash drive and connect it to your PS5 console.
- Boot into PS5 safe mode.
- Select Update System Software > Update from USB Storage Device > press Enter.
The update will take some time, so wait patiently. After updating the PS5 system software, you can launch the game or application to check if the PS5 error code CE-108255-1 still appears.
Method 5: Rebuild Database
If the library database gets corrupted or damaged, it can cause issues while downloading the game. Rebuilding the database on PS5 can resolve many performance issues in the system. It is the best way to fix errors like CE-108255-1
In order to rebuild, make sure to disconnect any attached devices like controllers, USB, Bluetooth headsets or storage devices, etc. Keep them disconnected until you power the device back on, as these devices can interfere with the device startup.
Don’t turn in your Airplane mode either since WiFi also needs to go offline during this process, this restricts users to access internet services unless PSN is turned off. Rebuilding the database on PS5 allows users to clean up data and sort everything on a hard drive. Make sure PS5 software is up to date. Follow the below steps to rebuild the database on PS5:
Make sure to start your PS5 console in safe mode. Here’s how you can do that:
- Turn off your console by holding the power button for a few seconds until the power indicator blink for a few seconds before turning off.
- Once the console is off, press and hold the power button. When you hear the second beep, release the power button. You’ll hear the first beep as soon you press the button and the second one after seven seconds later.
- Connect the controller to a USB cable into a port name “ OPT”. Then, press the PS button on the controller to pair it.
- Go down to option number 5 and select Rebuild Database. It starts automatically upon selection.
- Wait for the process to complete, restart PS5 and wait for the reboot.
- Once restarted, check if the PS5 Error [CE-108255-1] still persists.
Method 6: Clean the Game Disc
If you receive the error while playing the game through the disc, make sure to check if the disc works properly. Here’s how you can do that:
- Eject the disc from your PS5 console.
- Make sure there is no physical damage to the disk.
- Then clean the disc to remove any smudges, dust fingerprints, dirt, etc.
- Make sure it is properly cleaned, and insert the disc back into your console.
- Check whether the error CE-108255-1 has been resolved or not.
Note that there are two versions of PS5 consoles, only the standard edition provides Blu-ray compatible disc drive.
Method 7: Reset PS5
If none of the above solutions work for you, there are chances you might be dealing with firmware-related problems. This prevents the console from updating which cause performance errors like this one. It is suggested to reset the PS5 and reinstall the system software from scratch, there might be compatibility issues or corruption on the PS5.
Resetting has worked for some users while some fix the error by reinstalling the system software. It can be directly done from the PS5 UI menu but we suggest you do it in the safe mode. In the end, go for the option for reinstalling the current system firmware.
Note: Make sure to backup saved data on the cloud or the USB. Copy the game files on the external storage. As resetting PS5 will remove the personal user data, saves (including saved games, game files, etc), or any other content. Here’s how you can do that:
- Go to Settings by going to the gear-shaped icon at the top.
- Then go to Saved Data and Game/App Settings, then select Saved Data.
- Now choose the type of data you want to backup and click Next.
- And backup will begin.
If your data is fully backed up, you are ready to reset your PS5 and every associated file. Now follow the below steps:
- Start your PlayStation 5 console.
- Now, press and hold on to the power button to boot in the Safe Mode. After that release the power button once you hear the second beep.
- After successfully putting your console on safe mode, go to the settings.
- Now, go to System.
- Select System Software and look for option 7 Reset PS5 – Reinstall System Software from the list and select it.
- Confirm at the confirmation prompt.
- Wait until the operation is finished. Once completed console will restart. The factory firmware will be reinstated.
- Make sure to install every pending firmware update before installing any games after a reboot.
- Once your firmware version is updated, try to install your particular game and check if the error is resolved.
But if the error PS5 error code CE-108255-1 still persists, you are left with only one option and that’s to contact the PlayStation support center for assistance.