If you tried connecting to Facebook and received an error message that says “Something went wrong. Please try closing and re-opening your browser window. Return home” then you have come to the right place because on this website we give you details into error messages and how to fix them.
Facebook Error: “Something went wrong”
One thing we have noticed about this error is that it only appears on the web version of Facebook which basically means you will not encounter this error on the Android and/or iPhone app. You will likely see this error if you are connecting to Facebook through a web browser such as Google Chrome, Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge.
Thee are also some other versions of this same error:
Something went wrong.
Try refreshing this page
Sorry, something went wrong.
We are working on it and we’ll get it fixed as soon as we can.
Oops, something went wrong.
This may be because of a technical error that we’re working to get fixed.
Try reloading this page.
Did you receive any of these error messages? Please don’t be worried as there is no issue on your end this is a temporary problem being faced by Facebook that will be fixed soon.
Cause for Facebook “Something went wrong” error
There is no definite cause and there is no way to know for sure what causes this error to show up but here is our hunch and analysis, it might be caused by one of the following settings:
- Cache: Did you know Facebook stores a local cache on your browser? This is done to reduce load and because of this Facebook stores local copies of data that you have already accessed and sometimes if a new member logs in and then cache mismatch can cause the “something went wrong” error to show up.
- Extensions: In some rare cases you will notice that there browser extensions which might interfere with Facebook and because of that interference the website will not load properly or it will throw an error just like you see on Facebook.
- Layout: Interesting if you are using old layout of Facebook or using a very outdated browser which does not support the latest web version of the website then this could be another reason why this error might be showing up.
Below you will find some users who have explained their experience of this error
This problem persists on all my three Mac browsers — all caches cleared, no other connection problems, always “Something went wrong” after certain newsfeed items. No add-ons in browsers.
Clearly a Facebook database feature — appears when weekend nears.
It seems like I am getting the error “Something went wrong” when posting to Facebook as a Business page so I am not sure if this issue is on my end or caused by Facebook
Facebook says, “Sorry, something went wrong. We’re working on getting this fixed as soon as we can”. If you’re seeing this error message when you open Log In or Sign Up or when you try to login to Facebook on your desktop computer, or via an app on your mobile, it means something just went wrong on Facebook’s side and you’ll need to come back later.
Fix for Facebook “Something went wrong”
Change your internet browser
As we have mentioned before that our investigation as shown that the error is faced only while accessing web version of Facebook so you can try accessing Facebook using an alternative internet browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge etc
This is usually the easiest and quickest way to get rid of this error.
Restarting your device
At times such an error is caused by some hidden setting or configuration which is hard to find and change so in such cased the best thing you can do is quickly reset your device.
This can be done by restarting your computer.
Disable all browser extensions
Only in rare cases it is possible that some extension is interrupting your connection to Facebook so you can disable all browser extensions on your browser e.g. Chrome using the following process:
- Launch Chrome and click on three dots on upper right and click More tools.
- There you can select Extensions from a list of options.
- Scroll down to find an extension which you think might be causing trouble and remove the extension by clicking the Remove button of the extension.
Those are some of the solutions we would recommend you try.
Did any of the mentioned solutions work for you? Let us know in the comments below!
I love understanding how different technologies work and explaining them to people. From tech guides to opinions, everything is interesting to me. Other than that, I enjoy writing about various science-related topics and conversing with people.